Volunteer Civics Instructor
WhenWed Feb 08, 2017 - Fri Jun 30, 2017
Where31-09 Newtown AvenueAstoria, NY 11102
The Center for the Integration & Advancement of New Americans (CIANA) is a social services organization that works to integrate new immigrants from South Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America into the socio-economic and civic life of American society while maintaining pride in their cultural heritage.
We are looking for a Civics/Citizenship instructor to teach twice per week. Our classes generally have less than 10 students who range in English proficiency from beginner to intermediate. We are looking for a self-starter who is comfortable with diversity and can make the class interesting and fun.
The primary responsibilities are:
- Preparing students for the Naturalization test and interview
- Incorporating US History and Government in their lessons
- Strengthening speaking, reading, and writing skills needed for the test
- Available Monday and Wednesday mornings from 10:30 am - 12 pm (afternoon/evening availability can be considered)
- Able to devote 3 months minimum
- Minimum 3 rd year BA in history, political science, government (or if not studying these subjects can explain why they would make a great teacher!)
- Experience teaching English a HUGE plus!
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to Ms. Devon Stein at email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line of the application.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment