Direct Service Volunteer Job Description
Title: Landlord Outreach Specialist Intern for Refugee Resettlement (LOSIRR)Job Function
The Landlord Outreach Specialist Intern for Refugee Resettlement will be responsible for developing and maintaining working relationships with landlords and property managers to secure housing for newly arrived refugees. The goal is to increase access to and relationships with private market owned rental property for Caritas of Austin Refugee clients resettling in Travis County.Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish relationships with landlords to assist in locating appropriate housing for Refugees who may have multiple barriers to obtaining permanent housing
- Maintain landlord relationships and develop/maintain database on properties and landlord contacts
- Develop outreach materials and agreements with landlords that will provide rental units to help Refugees access and maintain permanent housing
- Develop/coordinate training events for landlords
- Develop & implement internal referral process
- Coordinate housing placement efforts with Resettlement Specialist
- Meet as needed with Refugee Families to assist with housing search and applications
- Perform and document unit move-in inspections per Habitability Standards
- Maintain statistics and provide reports on a monthly basis
- Participate in departmental meetings related to Resettlement
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision
Time Commitment: Four to six months commitment (school semester), 18hrs. Minimum per week: Weekdays, Evenings, and/or Weekends.Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- Ability to work independently, under the direction of the Resettlement Team.
- Project driven and sees projects through to completion.
- Patient and able to work with people who possess no English skills.
- Friendly, but always mindful that relationships must be professional, not personal.
- Ability to communicate with cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Experience working in property management, apartment/housing location or real estate preferred
- Knowledge of housing market trends within Travis and surrounding counties
- To transport clients, the intern must have:
- Reliable transportation
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Current State of Texas driver’s license
- Proof of up-to-date insurance.
- Pre-training screening interview
- Criminal background check
- Direct Service Volunteer Training classes include completion of the following:
Caritas 101: Becoming a Volunteer
Caritas 3: Understanding the Reality of Poverty
Caritas 6: Welcome to Caritas of Austin
Caritas 7: Working with Refugee/Resettlement Clients
contact: Loly Thomas - Direct Service Volunteer Coordinator - Caritas of Austin -
email@example.com - 512-632-0559 (mobile)
- People Skills
- Project Management
- Real Estate & Leasing
- Case Work / Management
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 18 hours minimum per week
- Help someone or a family...
- Community Kitchen Volunteer
- Apartment Set-up Volunteer
- Bilingual Direct Service...
- Volunteer Management...
- Homeless & Refugee Employment...
- Receptionist And Pantry Assistant
- Refugee Child Day Care Liaison
- Caritas Education Program: ...
- Landlord Outreach Specialist...
- Administrative Volunteers
- Community Advocates - Volunteers
- Donation Drivers - Volunteers
- Volunteer Driving Refugees-...
- Caritas Employment Program...