We are seeking individuals/families that would like to make a difference in the life of a homeless young adult and help create sustainable solutions to the homeless crisis in Pierce County. As a Host Home Provider you would commit to place a youth experiencing homelessness in a spare room in your (owned or rented) home for a period of time ranging from 6 months to 1 year.
The Host Home Program is through Shared Housing Services, a nonprofit in Tacoma focusing on connecting people to foster independence through innovative and affordable housing. The Host Home program pairs a young person experiencing homelessness with a caring individual/family wanting to make a difference in the life of a young adult. Host Home providers act as mentors, and receive support services from case managers and housing specialists along with financial assistance to cover monthly rent.
The main focus of the program is to provide a safe environment and mentorship for the youth as they go through school, get their GED, or find jobs. While the program is a commitment, there are benefits in participation:
- Sense of well-being from helping others
- Training provided for both the Host Family and the youth
- Advocacy for the Host Home Provider from the Program Coordinator throughout the entire process
- Participating in the success and growth of a young adult currently experiencing homelessness
- Short term program (6 months to 1 year on a case-by-case basis)
- No need to provide furniture, supplies, etc. (We will provide that!)
- Open communication and support from organization and case managers
- Financial compensation to cover monthly rent for youth
This is a great opportunity for any individual/family just interested in making a difference in one’s life while earning a little extra income. If you are interested in finding out more about this opportunity, please respond with a cover letter explaining why would like to participate and we will get in touch with you briefly.
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 22
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months - 1 year
- Spare bedroom