Volunteer tutors work one-on-one with adults learning English. Sessions are usually one hour, once a week, and focus on conversation practice, reading, writing review, homework support, etc. Conversation prompts and other materials are provided. Working with a tutor gives ESOL students an opportunity to get acquainted with another English speaker, to learn about American culture, and to practice English one-on-one. Tutors often volunteer at the YMCA International Learning Center to complete service-learning, practicum, or internship requirements. Note this is an unpaid volunteer opportunity, but invaluable experience working with immigrant and refugee populations of Greater Boston.
Hours tutors are needed:12:30 pm-5:30 pm Monday-Friday
- Comfortable tutoring beginner, intermediate, or advanced English speakers.
- Willingness to consistenly meet at least one student for 6-8 weeks.
- Prior ESL teaching/tutoring experience a plus, but not required.
- Bilingual a plus, but not required.
- Ability to provide patience, sensitivity, and understanding when interacting with students from different cultures, nationalities, class, abilities, etc.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hr per week (minimum) for at least 6-8 weeks