Hundreds of thousands of veterans are food insecure every day in America. You can help in your community with just two hours a week.
Meal Delivery Volunteers pick up prepared meals and deliver to veterans and homebound seniors residing in northeast Lake County.
Meals at Home is partnered with Piggly Wiggly, Zion to provide daily fresh meal deliveries to Veterans and Seniors in Zion, Winthrop Harbor, Waukegan and North Chicago. Meals are picked up by volunteers at 11am and delivered on predetermined routes Monday-Friday. Hands on training and ongoing support is provided.
IF YOU DON'T RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM US, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM. WE ALWAYS RESPOND TO VOLUNTEER REQUESTS. THANKS!
- Report to pick up meals at assigned time
- Ensure correct number of meals before leaving the pick up location.
- Promptly report any problems with order to the Meals at Home office.
- Notify Meals at Home office is client is unable to receive meal, looks unwell or is in any unsafe conditions.
- Drivers must be at least 21 years old and have a valid driver's license, vehicle registration and insurance. (Runners may be under 21; minors must be accompanied by a registered volunteer parent or guardian.)
- Must be a driver in good standing with the State of Illinois or issuing state.
- Must be physically able to get in and out of a vehicle repeatedly and walk short distances.
- Desire to serve others with respect for people of different backgrounds and abilities.
- Be courteous and personable when dealing with the public.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of Meals at Home volunteers, partners, and donors.
- Each delivery route takes about 2 hours. We ask for a minimum of one scheduled day per month.
- Veteran Care
- Elder care
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- minimum of 2 hours/month