18 people are interested
Ceramics Studio Volunteer
18 people are interested
Educational Alliance’s Manny Cantor Center-a vibrant and diverse community center on the Lower East Side-has ongoing, recurring, and one-time volunteer roles that provide meaningful support to our critical programs. We are a Certified Service Enterprise, meaning we strategically engage volunteers’ time and talent to fulfill our mission. As a volunteer you are a Changemaker, joining a movement of engaged New Yorkers taking action to strengthen the Lower East Side.
As a cultural resource, the Art School fosters an outlet for community engagement and dialogue in the arts through our gallery and public programs. We are committed to serving the greatest diversity of students, out of our belief that everyone, regardless of age, ethnicity, or socio-economic status, should have the opportunity for self-expression and lifelong learning. Located in the newly renovated Manny Cantor Center, the Art School enters a new era with an exceptional facility, renewed educational offerings, and refined vision for best-in-class programming. This is an opportunity to assist with maintenance, preparation and continued operations of the Manny Cantor Center ceramic studio.
WHAT IS YOUR COMMITMENT?
- Approximately 3 hours/week, schedule to be determined with you and program staff
- Open Studios are between 10AM-9PM on weekdays and between 10AM-6PM on weekends. Times can vary each term, and volunteers are needed throughout these times.
- Preparation, maintenance and recycling materials, including clay, glaze and kiln
- Monitor Open Studio time, ensuring students sign-in, helping with access to supplies and answering questions
- Assist with organization and clean-up of the studio
HOW TO GET STARTED:
- Completed Volunteer Application: https://mannycantor.org/mcc-changemakers/volunteer-opportunities/create-volunteer-profile/
- Phone Screening with Volunteer staff
- In-person interview with Art Program Staff and Volunteer Ceramics Manager
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof will be required.
APPLY TO BE A STUDIO VOLUNTEER IF YOU...
- Keen understanding and experience in ceramics and/or in an art studio environment
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to commit to weekly volunteering
About Educational Alliance/Manny Cantor Center
197 E BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NY 10002, US
Educational Alliance brings together and partners with diverse communities in Lower Manhattan, offering individuals and families high-quality, multi-generational programs and services that enhance their well-being and socioeconomic opportunities..
Our commitment to the diversity of the Lower East Side is reflected in our programming: Head Start classrooms sit alongside our private preschool; the Weinberg Center for Balanced Living creates community for older adults of all backgrounds and abilities; our fitness center is utilized by neighborhood residents of all ethnicities, income levels, and ages through an innovative tiered membership model. The Educational Alliance Art School uses the study and mastery of fine arts to forge connections between students and master teachers. Afterschool programs serve community needs for recreation, fitness, education, and college preparation. Community and cultural programming invites deep conversation and calls to action.
The Manny Cantor Center is the flagship building of Educational Alliance, a community-based organization offering a wide range of programs that integrate education, social services, arts and recreation throughout the Lower East Side and East Village. Created to assist Eastern European Jews immigrating to NYC, it has been serving the area since 1889. Educational Alliance has grown and changed as the Lower East Side has; now serving the diverse population that currently resides here.
197 East BroadwayManny Cantor CenterNew York, NY 10002
October 20, 2021
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Visual Arts
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- 5 hours/week
- Must have some knowledge and/or experience with ceramics