It is estimated by the Children's Grief Association that 4.8 million children in the USA EACH YEARexperience the death of one or both parents. This overwhelming number does not include children who will lose a grandparent, sibling, or other significant person in their lives.
How does one even begin to help a child process the loss of someone close to them? By incorporating therapeutic activities into a fun camping experience, Crossroads Kids allows children to connect with peerswho are also experiencing grief. It is a time for attendees to share their experiences in a safe place while developing coping skills to take with them when they leave.
Crossroads Kid's Camp is a 3 day, 2 night camp held at Lake Doniphan Conference and Retreat Center in Excelsior Springs, Missouri.
If you are energetic, creative, playful and LOVE to serve children, then we need YOU! Our Volunteer Buddies will be partnered on a 1:2 ratio to be a friend for the weekend to a couple of great kids! You will:
- Participate, assist, and/or construct arts and crafts
- Organize and join in outdoor activities
- Be a compassionate listener through therapeutic activities
- Monitor and assist your camper(s) during evening bon-fire activities
- Be present and available during meal times and cabin times
- Must be 18 or older, high energy, able to participate in outdoor activities
- Be available to spend the full weekend: Mid October ( call for specific details)
- Volunteers must complete a mandatory Saturday training, TB Test and background and finger print test. CPR Certification required.
Crossroads Kids Camp is sponsored by Crossroads Hospice Charitable Foundation. We envision a community that honors the validity of child and family grief by facilitating the healing process.
For more information please call Sandy Doolittle at 913-850-7500 or inquire at volunteerKAN@crossroadshospice.com
- Child Development
- Child Welfare
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
- Family Therapy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 18 - 30 years old
- Love to Read? Evening Hospice...
- Volunteers needed in Kansas...
- A visit can bring a much needed...
- Evening Hospice Volunteer...
- Front Desk & Office Support
- College Students for Crossroads...
- Calling Social Work...
- Perfect for Sororities,...
- Creating a book of memories- "A...
- Dog and Cat visitors needed....
- Kids Camp for kids experiencing...
- Volunteers needed Spring Hill,...