Learning Through Art Volunteer
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is seeking volunteers to support teaching artists in New York City public school classrooms where the Learning Through Art (LTA) program is implemented. LTA Volunteers should be enthusiastic about arts education/integration and able to make a commitment to assist a teaching artist one day each week for the duration of the 20-week residency.
LTA places teaching artists in New York City public school classrooms, where they collaborate with teachers to create process-oriented art projects that examine ideas and themes related to the school curriculum. In these 20-week residencies, teaching artists introduce art techniques and concepts and encourage students to view, analyze, and discuss works of art.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
Responsibilities of a LTA Volunteer include:
- Distribute all art materials to students as directed by teaching artist. Help to maintain an organized classroom throughout each session and manage clean-up and storage of materials.
- Photograph (when advised by teaching artist) students at work in the classroom. Photograph one individual work for each student in February/March to be included in the catalog and exhibition slide show.
- Assisting the teaching artist in hanging in-school exhibitions and other displays of student artwork throughout the year
- As advised by teaching artist, work with students one-on-one and in small groups as needed.
- Helping with LTA events as needed, including family days at the Guggenheim Museum
This is a volunteer position. Volunteers receive invitations to Guggenheim programs, free admission to museums across the country, discounts at the Guggenheim restaurants and store and the opportunity to learn about art education, museum education and modern and contemporary art.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email email@example.com.
Volunteer commitment is once weekly from approximately mid-October through early May.
Please complete the LTA volunteer application found at www.guggenheim.org/lta. Email with a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Learning Through Art, 1071 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10128.
- Visual Arts
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 day (m-f only) per week