BOARD TREASURER POSITION OVERVIEW
The Board will support the work of The SURVIVANT Organization (TSO) and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by TSO’s executive director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
LEADERSHIP, GOVERNANCE AND OVERSIGHT
- Attend all board meetings
- Maintain knowledge of the organization and personal commitment to its goals and objectives
- Understand financial accounting for nonprofit organizations
- Create audit-able accounting system for TSO
- Manage, the board's review of and action related to the board's financial responsibilities
- Work with the ED to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the board on a timely basis
- Present the annual budget to the board for approval
- Review the annual audit and answer board members' questions about the audit
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements TSO’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by TSO for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving TSO’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing TSO to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring TSO’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities TSO serves
TSO Board Members will consider TSO a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that TSO can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, TSO expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
TSO’s Board Members will serve a five-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for additional terms. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about TSO’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of TSO’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of TSO’s beneficiaries
Service on TSO’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
- Washington, DC
- Financial Management: 5 years
- Non-Profit: 5 years
- Accounting: 5 years
Required license or certification:
- Financial Auditing
- Donor Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- 4-8 Hours Per Month
- Treasurer, Board of Directors
- RECRUITING OVERSEAS FEMALE HOSTS...
- SEEKING DC GOSPEL CHOIR FOR...
- CASTING CALL IN DC FOR WOMEN -...
- RECRUITING LGBTQIA FEMALE...
- RECRUITING AUDIO EDITOR FOR...
- RECRUITING FEMALE MUSICIANS FROM...
- SEEKING OVERSEAS WOMEN (NOT...
- VIDEOGRAPHERS NEEDED FOR MUSIC...
- SEEKING RESEARCH ASSISTANT FOR...
- CASTING CALL IN DC SHORT FILM &...
- SEEKING MILLENIAL WOMEN IN DC...
- TSO IS ACTIVELY SEEKING...