Harlem RBI, an award winning youth development program, is seeking volunteer tutors to provide academic support to middle school students in East Harlem and the South Bronx start in the fall of 2016. Tutors work with youth individually and in small groups to help improve student success in class, increase subject-specific retention, and contribute to overall academic development.
What You'll Do
- Lead weekly tutoring sessions supported by staff and volunteers;
- Support participants with homework completion in a middle school subject of your choice, including: English, Math, Science, and Social Studies;
- Serve as a role model and build positive relationships with youth;
What We're Looking For
- Strong command of one or more of the following academic subjects: English, Math, Science, and/or Social Studies
- Previous experience working with youth;
- Possess creativity, enthusiasm and patience;
- Solid oral communication skills;
- Ability to make a consistent, weekly commitment;
- Bachelor's Degree (a plus).
- 1-2 years previous tutoring experience (a plus);
- 1-2 years teaching experience (a major plus);
- Gain invaluable experience and opportunities for professional development at an award winning youth development program;
- Receive an optional professional reference upon completion of your service term;
- Join an incredible community of passionate staff and volunteers.
Hours: At least one 2 hour to 2.5 hour session per week, Monday-Thursday. Times vary between 4:00pm and 6:30pm, based on youth/volunteer availability and program schedule.
Commitment: At least 3 months, beginning in fall of 2016. Harlem RBI provides equal opportunity for all volunteers.
Apply here: http://careers.harlemrbi.org/careers/position/volunteer-tutor-east-harlem-ny
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- At least 3 months, beginning in fall of 2016.