Interpretive Docent for Chitactac School Programs
WhenThu Aug 25, 2016 09:15 AM - Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:15 PM
WhereChitactac-Adams Heritage County Park10001 Watsonville Rd.Gilroy, CA 95020
Do you like spending time outdoors?
Working with children? Exploring local history?
We are looking for interpretive docents to help lead school field trip programs at Chitactac-Adams County Park. Docents will support park interpretive staff by leading educational activities related to the local wildlife, native plants, and the rich culture of the Amah Mutsun people who lived at this site for more than 3000 years.
Extensive training materials are provided, and individuals with interest in anthropology, natural history, and elementary education are encouraged to apply.
- Commitment to 60 hours of service over 4-9 months
- Public speaking skills
- Experience working with youth
- Completion of required training
- Pass Live Scan background check
- Have reliable transportation to park site
- Commitment to a weekly shift during the school year
Docents must be available one morning/week for the entire school year or two mornings/week during one semester. Shifts are 9:15am-12:15pm (field trips run from 9:30am-noon.)
- Share the rich cultural history of Chitactac with local youth
- Receive training and mentoring in interpretation and environmental education methods
- Give back to the community while enjoying time outdoors
- Gain professional experience in parks and recreation
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 60 hours of service/year, 1-2 mornings/week
- Must have reliable transportation to the park, off Hwy 152, in the hills west of Gilroy