Make-A-Wish Michigan is currently recruiting wish-granting volunteers statewide!
Wish-granting volunteers meet with the child and his/her family to help determine the child’s most heartfelt wish while planning special enhancements throughout the wish process. Wish-granting volunteers work in teams of two alongside Make-A-Wish staff to ensure every eligible child’s wish comes true. You must be at least 21 years old to participate in this opportunity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Partner with one other volunteer wish granter to grant the wishes of children throughout the state of Michigan.
- Visit the wish child, with the goal of discerning his/her one true wish, while gaining an understanding of the reason behind the child’s most heartfelt wish.
- Complete and submit wish paperwork in a timely manner according to chapter guidelines.
- Create a magical wish experience for the wish child by planning and delivering "wish enhancements" - special, creative touches that keep the child excited about the wish throughout the process.
- Solicit in-kind donations, ensuring Make-A-Wish resources are used wisely.
- Plan "send off" gathering, "welcome home" or "presentation" gathering for each wish, as appropriate.
- Develop a positive rapport with the wish child and family by serving as a liaison between chapter staff and the wish family, ensuring the family is updated on the status of the wish throughout the wish process.
- Act as a reliable, communicative, and productive member of the "wish team" by working closely with a volunteer partner and Make-A-Wish staff to create the best possible wish experience for the child.
- Other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate.
- Child Development
- Child Care
- Youth Services
- Family Therapy
- Community Outreach
- People Skills
Good Match For
Kids People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- One-year commitment required