The LearningWorks AIMS HIGH AmeriCorps program offers members a variety of opportunities to impact school and student achievement in positions that include developing or expanding tutoring, mentoring and enrichment programs in struggling schools in Maine, through direct educational service to students. LW AIMS HIGH is a school turnaround initiative where members provide direct support to students and build capacity to bring individuals and community members into schools to improve student achievement.
All AIMS HIGH members support schools and individual students by engaging families, teachers, community members and community partners in the educational process. In general, AmeriCorps member responsibilities include: tutoring and mentoring, program documentation, upholding program standards, volunteer recruitment, assisting with training volunteers and participation in leadership development trainings.
Each school has a team of Minimum Time AmeriCorps members who provide consistent support to students and teachers, both inside and outside of the classroom. Minimum Time members play a key role in the program in that they commit to a regular service schedule and are a reliable resource in each school.
- Self motivated with a high degree of flexibility.
- Ability to communicate with school staff and teachers, and take direction for service activities.
- Ability to manage time, set priorities, plan & implement projects effectively.
- Be willing to have a full FBI and SBI background check as well as a National Sex Offender Search check.
- Be at least 17 years of age at the time of enrollment.
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- Submit timesheets every two weeks.
- Have a high school diploma or high school equivalency (requirement waived if currently enrolled in high school).
Essential Functionsinclude the ability to:
- Work and effectively communicate with teachers and administrators
- Tutor, mentor and nurture students
- Aid teachers and enrich learning through grade-level classroom assistance.
- Engage parents and family members in students’ education.
- Speak clearly and effectively to groups (large & small).
- Work independently as well as part of a team.
- Use basic computer software such as Microsoft Office and navigate the internet.
- Be able to serve consistently and reliably.
- Abide by all AmeriCorps service rules and service provisions.
Desired Functions include ability to:
- Recruit and manage volunteers.
- Conduct community and parent outreach.
- Promote and support service-learning.
- Develop and execute enrichment activities and lesson plans.
Required Trainings and meetings that AIMS HIGH Members will participate in:
- Program orientation
- Monthly team meetings
- AmeriCorps training and events with the Maine State Commission for Community Service
- Community service activities
- Other events as assigned including meetings or functions on evenings or weekends
Benefits and Terms:
- Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members receive an education award of an amount up to $1,222. The education award can be used to repay qualified student loans or for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational or trade school. The education award is taxable in the year that it is used.
- Loan forbearance. (After successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps may pay a portion or all of the accrued interest on qualified loans, which is taxable.)
- Mileage reimbursement for travel between program sites, meetings and/or assignments.
- Professional development, trainings and networking opportunities.
- Positions are contingent upon a pending award from the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Please note: LearningWorks AIMS HIGH AmeriCorps members commit to 300 hours of service for the contract dates and other terms. For more information about Member service, visit the AmeriCorps website at www.americorps.gov.
This project is sponsored by the Maine Commission for Community Service (MCCS). MCCS builds capacity and sustainability in Maine’s volunteer and service communities. Funding for the LearningWorks-AmeriCorps AIMS HIGH program is provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Accommodation arrangements must be requested in advance by contacting LW AIMS HIGH Director at email@example.com.
Please apply online at this link: https://lwaimshigh.wufoo.com/forms/x1h3yzhk16reily/
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 300 hours to be completed by August 2017