Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance (SHIBA) Certified Counselor
If you have a passion to help others, are dependable, understanding, patient, and compassionate, become a SHIBA counselor TODAY!
SHIBA certified counselors help people:
- With Medicare select Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D)
- Compare Medicare Advantage plans
- Compare Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans
- Apply for Medicare Savings Programs, including Extra Help with Medicare Part D.
SHIBA counselors also review Medicare bills, assist with appeals, and report complaints.
Interested individuals should have:
- Good communications skills
- Be able to protect client confidentiality
- Have no conflict of interest (such as an insurance agent)
- Be able to use a computer, email, and the Internet.
- Assistance can be offered by phone and in person.
- SHIBA counselors typically volunteer 4 hours a week, yet may volunteer more or less.
- Mandatory counselor meetings generally occur every other month.
You are also invited to contact your local SHIBA Coordinator:
Marion, Polk, Yamhill Counties
Craig Parker SHIBA and Senior Medicare Patrol Coordinator
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Counselors typically volunteer 4 hours a week