Newsletter Editor/Writer and beyond
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where1265 S. Main St. Suite 305DSeattle, WA 98144
Wider Horizons is a member-based nonprofit, a virtual village of people living in Central Seattle. Our members believe in building support networks so they can age in their own homes as long as they wish. They live independent lives by tapping into the give-and-take of strong communities. As we age, certain tasks become more difficult and can slow our neighborhood involvement. A little help from a willing volunteer can make the difference between full engagement and unintended isolation.
(Volunteers can complete this project from home or our office or anywhere else - I marked it Local but Virtual is accurate too.)
Design and produce a regular periodic newsletter to spread news about our village to our members, and to the community and beyond. Content can include village news, member profiles, reports on past events, links to interesting articles, community news, member submissions and whatever else we find relevant. The final product can be a PDF to email or print and mail.
- Huddle with the coordinator and director to create a news "budget"
- Cover our events or solicit reporters
- Develop a schedule for member/volunteer profiles
- Write articles and profiles, assemble materials (calendars, links, photos, columns, etc.) and put out a newsletter to distribute monthly or quarterly
If you like writing feature stories about people and events, and collecting news that enhance a community, this job could be ideal for you. Our members are warm, fascinating characters who appreciate the efforts that go into staying informed.
Beyond the basics of a newsletter, if you’re interested:
- Design a newsletter by updating our old templates.
- Create and maintain a social media campaign that attracts viewers interested in our village.
- Take our web template to new design heights.
Whether you are building your resume by writing, interviewing, publishing, developing campaigns and/or strategies, or enjoy the work as a seasoned veteran, we welcome you!
To apply, touch the I Want to Help button. I’ll send you our latest newsletter for you to review and critique.
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Public Relations
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Up to 10 hours/month
- You set your own hours