Alameda County Community Food Bank is participating in a program to help adults living with type 2 diabetes. This is the first randomized controlled trial in the Feeding America network designed to quantify the efficacy of providing a structured diabetes management program through food banks, to improve diabetes control for clients seeking food assistance from the charitable feeding system.
Alameda County Community Food Bank, Houston Food Bank, and Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan are implementing this rigorous research trial. The University of California, San Francisco, Feeding America and Urban Institute are the national research and programmatic partners.
Why are we participating? As a food bank we serve some of the most vulnerable members of our community. We are committed to not only addressing the food needs of our clients, but also working to build and implement interventions that help to improve the health of those we serve. This trial will allow us to build the necessary evidence to better understand how our food bank and food banks across the country can improve the health and lives of those in our community.
What exactly are we doing? We’re providing healthy, diabetic-specific food boxes twice per month, diabetes classes, and connection (referrals) to healthcare providers.
When is this happening? Now! We’re reaching out and enrolling clients NOW and need your help.
How can you help? There are a few different ways:
1) Do you have clinical experience (RN, MD, phlebotomist)? You can help us perform free blood sugar screening (using a glucometer or point-of-care HbA1c machine). English or Spanish speaking.
2) Do you speak Spanish? You can help us walk participants through the informed consent process, and collect baseline survey information.
3) More of an office person? We’re happy to have some administrative help also!
We will be holding TWO major screening events this summer for which we are in particular need of help.
Saturday June 25, 9-noon and Thursday, July 28, 2-5 PM
Alameda County Community Food Bank
7900 Edgewater Drive, Oakland
We will ALSO be conducting regular screenings at locations throughout the county through late August 2016.
If you are interested in volunteering your time, please contact Kate Cheyne at email@example.com.
Thank you for your consideration!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Training (2+ hours) and ongoing monthly commitment
- Confidentiality; customer service.