Small care farm looking for gardeners, builders and more
214 people are interested
We run a one-acre care farm on the grounds of a LAUSD high school for at risk kids. We have several goals. First, the farm serves to help the-at risk kids learn science, nutrition, environmental issues and self-reliance. It also serves as a therapeutic device. Care Farming is well known and studied in Europe, but unheard of in the U.S. It has been statistically proven to help ease anxiety, anger issues, cultural isolation and a host of other emotional issues in a long term way.
This school is our first project and our "proof of concept". Ultimately, we would like to see care farming help all sorts of vulnerable people across the U.S. We are seeing it work with these kids in Reseda and are confident it can help many many more.
There are many volunteer opportunities with Kindred Spirits Care Farm.
For those who love to garden, we have 1/4 acre of organic gardens growing edible deliciousness.
For those who have building skills, we have several projects from repairing the chicken house, to remodeling a shed into a poultry palace to building new planters to assembling our new greenhouse.
For those who have non-profit and/or business skills, we certainly need help with grant-writing, website design, event planning and fundraising of all sorts.
The farm is a magical place with huge trees, free roaming goats, pigs, alpacas and geese. Everyone who visits falls in love.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About KINDRED SPIRITS CARE FARM
8335 WINNETKA AVE # 136, WINNETKA, CA 91306, US
Our mission is to promote compassion, cooperation and connection to the earth, animals and each other through sustainable care farming. Through sustainable care farming we can help feed the world, slow climate change, build community and bring hope and healing to vulnerable people.
Care farming connects the healing power of horticultural therapy and/or animal therapy in a farm environment with vulnerable people who can benefit from meaningful time with plants and animals. The long term efficacy of care farming has been validated statistically in several studies in Western Europe where care farming is a common practice.
We take care farming to a whole new level.
- All our farm animals are rescued and their stories of rescue, recovery and ongoing happiness give hope to people who might also have experienced abuse, abandonment or neglect at the hands of people who had caregiver responsibilities.
- Through farm education, we create opportunities for people to meaningfully interact with the natural world and learn about food’s origin from the earth.
- We help build community by training people not only how to help feed themselves but also to help feed their communities through organic yard farming and urban agriculture.
- All of our work is rooted in practices designed to improve soil, air, and water as we grow food that will nourish body, mind and spirit.
We'll work with your schedule.
18741 Elkwood StreetReseda, CA 91335
- Grant Writing / Research
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Must be at least 18
- Honesty, integrity, dependability, compassion