The World Affairs Council is seeking part-time, ongoing volunteers to support the organization’s overall communication strategy and content production. The volunteer will have the opportunity to become familiar with various aspects of non-profit communication, content strategy, and social media management. All volunteers are encouraged to attend lectures and other Council events and have an opportunity to meet Council staff working in additional areas that may be of interest.
Why it's awesome to be part of World Affairs Council
* First-hand experience with a global nonprofit organization that has connected Oregonians to the world for over 50 years!
* University credit possible depending on your university program’s criteria (note: this is an unpaid/volunteer position. Internships are also possible depending on student requirements).
* Become part of a community of international and local leaders
* Gain skills related to project management, proposal creation, budgeting, digital marketing
* Gain knowledge of the world of international development, fundraising, and donor stewardship
* Research-lovers can dig deeply into prospect profiles, relevant news, and tech innovations for nonprofits
* Use your compelling writing skills to be a voice on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In
* Use your graphic design, video or photography skills to help develop brand assets
- Interest in global issues and cultures
- Tech savvy
- Entrepreneurial, get 'er done attitude
- Organized, attention to detail
- Excellent writing and editing skill
- A deep understanding of customer service, etiquette, cross-cultural respect
Bonus if you have....
- Fundraising or sales-related experience
- Adobe CS graphic design skills
- Basic HTML understanding, CMS experience (Wordpress, Drupal)
- Some nifty worldwide travel adventure stories under your belt
- A knack for social media, experience with tools like Hootsuite
- Photography and/or videography skills
- CRM Database knowledge/experience (Salesforce, CiviCRM)
- Spreadsheet Wizardry
- Interest in data management and data analytics
- Streamline a database / client relationship management system
- Update web and other digital content
- Help prepare marketing and outreach materials
- Create compelling social media messages, e-news, etc.
- Research prospects, potential partners, travel destinations
- Event planning or project management
Preference is given to persons who are studying or have studied in the areas of Web Development, Graphic Design, Communications, Social Media, Digital Marketing, Public Relations, International Affairs, Information Management, or a related field.
All World Affairs Council internships are unpaid. Interns are encouraged to attend monthly lectures and forums sponsored by the Council. Recruiting for positions is on-going. We ask for a three-month commitment and a minimum of 8 hours a week during the 9am-5pm workweek.
If you are interested in rolling up your sleeves and getting involved, please send an email with your cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include answers to the following:
1. Whether you are seeking volunteering or a formal internship* (for school credit)
2. Why you are interested in this opportunity
3. What is your "superpower" and what "superpower" do you hope to develop?
3. How you heard about World Affairs Council
- Social Media / Blogging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Adobe Creative Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 8 hours per week
- Please read entire description + submit all required documents. Thank you.