FFriends of the Central Library Bookstore Coordinator
The Friends of the Central Library Bookstore is the main source of income for the Friends, and all proceeds
support Library programs. Revenue is generated through sales at the bookstore itself, and through online sales
of higher priced books via Amazon. All items have either been donated by local residents and businesses, or
are quality items gleaned from the Library as they downsize collections.
The bookstore and Amazon sales are entirely volunteerrun,
and our volunteers are the heart of our
operations! Volunteers are involved in everything from backofhouse
(sorting donations, pricing books,
selecting books for Amazon sales, etc) to shop operations (restocking shelves, merchandising, keeping the
shop tidy) to interfacing with patrons (helping them find items, ringing them up, answering questions, etc.).
Amazon volunteers are also involved in listing, packing, and shipping items sold online.
We seek a coordinator who has wonderful interpersonal skills, is a great communicator, and has experience
managing and motivating a diverse group of volunteers. The coordinator will be expected to work between
hours per week, so this position is best suited for someone retired or who only works parttime.
Coordinator duties will include the following:
operations of the Bookstore
Estimated time commitment: 68
hours/week over multiple days
Our volunteers are a mix of new and longterm
volunteers, with diverse skill levels and interests. We are
looking for a coordinator who will work to ensure that volunteers are informed, engaged, and excited about
their work with the bookstore. Responsibilities include:
● Recruit, train, and schedule volunteers.
● Manage an existing online Google Calendar with uptodate
● Communicate regularly (1x / week) with volunteers to ensure everyone is aware of operations or
display/stock changes, upcoming events with special merchandising, etc. as they happen.
● Organize special sales as needed (maybe 12
times per year)
● Support Amazon online book sales as needed.
● Coordinate volunteers for pickup and dropoff of large (10+ boxes) donations
Represent the Bookstore at monthly FOCL Board meetings
Estimated time commitment: 1 2hour
meeting, plus time to summarize and email volunteers.
The Board oversees the Bookstore and other revenuegenerating
events put on by the Friends, then works
with Library staff to identify programs in need of funding and to distribute funding as needed. They also
approve larger expenditures for items needed to support the shop. The coordinator will be expected to:
● Attend monthly board meetings as full voting member (4th Mondays of the month 12:15 2
● Report to Board on successes, challenges, and operations of the bookstore.
● Report back to shop volunteers summarizing key points from Board meetings, including upcoming
events where the bookstore can provide special displays.
● Support FOCL board treasurer with any questions concerning bookstore revenues.
Support, engage, and recognize volunteers.
Monthly or bimonthly
volunteer meetings, 3 hrs/month
Our enthusiastic volunteers have tons of suggestions to improve bookstore operations since they are there
and see the challenges and opportunities in the work. The coordinator should be willing to:
● Maintain ongoing communication with volunteers to solicit feedback and prioritize requests and
suggestions from volunteers.
● Communicate volunteer concerns and ideas at the monthly Board meetings.
● Work with the volunteers, the Board, and Library staff to find and implement solutions that help increase
sales, patron satisfaction, and volunteer engagement.
● Manage interpersonal
conflicts between volunteers sharing shifts via conflict resolution or
● Schedule and conduct quarterly volunteer meetings to ensure everyone is informed and there is space
for volunteers to be heard, encouraged, and celebrated!
● Submit Volunteer of the Year nominations to the Board for annual recognition.
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours a week