Responsible for writing proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Provide stewardship to current donors, including work with Programs Manager to provide regular written updates (newsletters etc) to corporate and foundation donors.
- Understanding of institutional history and programs.
- Make appointments for VP Development and Grants and Research Manager with foundation officers and other prospects, arrange for onsite tours for supporters (foundation officers, foundation trustees).
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship (visitor number and diversity, educational program attendance, etc).
- Work with Programs Manager to provide development input for all written institutional materials (including Annual Report, Member magazine).
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Strong research writing skills.
- Strong editing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Experience with proposal writing.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Experience with grant writing a plus.
- Previous experience with non-profit fundraising a plus.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
About Cayenne Wellness Center and Children's Foundation:
Sickle Cell Disease is a rare disease that affects a population that is both diverse and marginalized. As part of the Sickle Cell Community, Cayenne Wellness Center offer workshops, seminars, and attend several community events to spread the word about Sickle Cell Disease (SCD). Sickle hemoglobin forms stiff rods within the red cell, changing it into a crescent, or sickle shape inhibiting oxygen flow to vital organs and causing a myriad of health & pain issues - typically found in individuals of African American descent.
On September 9th & 10th, 2016 we are hosting one of the largest Sickle Cell Awareness Seminars on the West Coast taking place at Charles R. Drew University for its eighth year.
This role is volunteer-to-start with potential to transition to a paid position within the organization that offers lots of opportunity for growth. We're also looking for dedicated individuals that can help our team spread the word (social media), seek grants, build donor relations, create & solidify agendas, and organize major events in May, July, September, and other ongoing monthly events.
- Grant Writing / Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10 hours/week