Barrow County Habitat for Humanity (BCHFH) is a Christian organization that builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses with the help of homeowner (partner) families. BCHFH is an affiliate office of Habitat for Humanity International and works to improve the living conditions for low-income Barrow County residents. The non-profit organization works in partnership with people in need from all walks of life to develop communities by building safe and affordable housing.
Position: Family Services Intern
Intern Description: Barrow County Habitat for Humanity seeks a highly motivated and compassionate individual to work with partner families in areas such as sweat equity, homeownership education, adjustment to new responsibility and continued partnerships. The position’s primary importance is to support the Partner Family by empowering them through homeownership.
- Seek out opportunities to reach out to local families that may be eligible for a Habitat home
- Work with staff on family selection including setting up orientation for applicants, screening applicants and supporting applicants as they go through the homeownership process
- Participate in one on one meetings with the Partner Families
- Maintain relationships and provide support services to families after they have accepted a home
- Facilitate and seek out opportunities for homeowner education classes
- Work with individual families to track "sweat equity" hours
- Research and identify local resources as well as refer clients to local agencies as needed
- Maintain and update Partner Family files within the SalesForce database. Must be willing to learn how to operate the database.
- Plan and facilitate Family Support Committee meetings including distributing agenda and taking minutes
- Ability to work sensitively with diverse populations
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (Education, Human Services, Social Work, Non-profit Management, etc.)
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Previous internship or related experience working with clients in a social service setting is a plus
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel). Experience with SalesForce database system is a plus.
- Self-motivated, good organizational and interpersonal skills, detail-oriented, ability to multitask and prioritize,
- Ability to ensure the confidentiality of Partner Families
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Habitat for Humanity and the families we serve
Start Date: Position open until filled, requires 3 - 6 month commitment and at least 12-14 hours/week, preferably twice a week in the office. May require travel to meet with homeowner.
Compensation: This is an Unpaid/Volunteer internshipTo Apply: Please a send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Human Resources Diversity
- Customer Acquisition
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours/week