Neighborhood House exists to help diverse communities of people with limited resources attain their goals for self-sufficiency, financial independence and community building. This ESL Program is a service provided through the High Point Family Center, which strives to implement programming that meets the needs of families living in the West Seattle community.
For non-English speaking parents in West Seattle there are significant barriers keeping them from engaging with their children. Youth enrolled in Seattle Public Schools tend to speak better English than their parents, yet need help with homework, as well as assistance in navigating the school system. Immigrant parents of youth enrolled in Seattle Public Schools may also lack reliable language skills in communicating with teachers. These barriers manifest in ways that ultimately keep parents from fully accessing their children's experience at school, with peers, decision making, and other crucial developmental stages in which parents need to be invested. This volunteer role would be working directly with parents in this community to improve their English skills.
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Citizenship/ESL Tutor- Seattle
- Youth Tutoring Programs-...
- Employment, Education Outreach...
- Front Desk Help Needed!...
- ESL Tutor (Renton)
- Employment, Education Outreach &...
- ESL Instructor (West Seattle)
- Opportunity to tutor an adult...
- Short Term Human Resources...
- Human Resources Assistant
- Citizenship/ESL Tutor - Kent