We are looking for assistance with our community organizing and outreach work, which operates under the name of Proyecto Santiago, includes:
- Helping to improve student performance at Norman elementary (such as tutoring, mentoring, teacher appreciation events, reading, adult education, other events)
- Providing information to the Hispanic community on topics, such as the rights of undocumented immigrants, how to interact appropriately with the police, consumer information, how to set up bank accounts (and avoid pay-day lending scams), how to work with local schools for the benefit of the children (e.g. bilingual and disability issues). Information sessions include inviting speakers from respective agencies.
- Organizing direct services for the community (such as a wills clinic by UT Law students, as they have done during spring break in south Texas).
- Discussing and presenting organizational skills to address community problems (such as coordinating and leading a presentation to the school board, city council, or appropriate agency). Leadership for such occasions is on the part of, and by, community members. The emphasis is on community empowerment.
- Adult Education
- Administrative Support
- Community Outreach
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Flexible schedule, 15 hours/week
- Spanish-speaking helpful, but not necessary