We are looking for assistance with our community organizing and outreach work, which operates under the name of Proyecto Santiago, includes:
- Helping to improve student performance at Norman elementary (such as tutoring, mentoring, teacher appreciation events, reading, adult education, other events)
- Providing information to the Hispanic community on topics, such as the rights of undocumented immigrants, how to interact appropriately with the police, consumer information, how to set up bank accounts (and avoid pay-day lending scams), how to work with local schools for the benefit of the children (e.g. bilingual and disability issues). Information sessions include inviting speakers from respective agencies.
- Helping with grant writing and fundraising
- Helping with our volunteer program with Norman elementary program
- Discussing and presenting organizational skills to address community problems (such as coordinating and leading a presentation to the school board, city council, or appropriate agency). Leadership for such occasions is on the part of, and by, community members. The emphasis is on community empowerment.
- Administrative Support
- Community Outreach
- Literacy / Reading
- Event Planning / Management
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Flexible schedule, 4-15 hours/week
- Spanish-speaking helpful, but not necessary