Orientation with National Parks Service Tonight (June 21)!!!
6pm-8pm at Federal Hall :
26 Wall St, New York, NY 10005
Meet the NPCA and National Parks Service team and learn more about what what happened at Stonewall that sparked the LGBT civil rights movement!
The National Parks Conservation Association's (NPCA) Northeast office is seeking volunteers to join NPCA staff working on the National Park for Stonewall campaign.
This summer, NPCA will be tabling near Stonewall to answer questions and provide more information to the public about a possible national park for the area surrounding Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, the site of the 1969 uprisings that sparked the modern movement for LGBT civil and human rights.
Through the end of August, we plan to reach hundreds of visitors at tables located around Stonewall from 3-6pm on weekdays and 12-6pm on weekends. Volunteers will help us share the story of Stonewall and help establish the first National Park Service (NPS) site dedicated to LGBT history.
- Talk to passers-by and share the story of Stonewall
- Discuss a possible national park for Stonewall and provide answers to basic questions
- Get feedback from visitors about their ideas for a possible national park
- Maintain sign-up list for people interested in getting on the park's mailing list
- Direct public to a website where they can learn more and provide suggestions and comments
- Set up and take down tabling materials
- Be friendly and outgoing, ready to engage the public
- Interest in LGBT rights
- Available for 2 or 3 hour shifts
- Enjoy being outside
- Ability to lift a table and chairs
Required Volunteer Training:
NPCA will hold a volunteer orientation at a date to be determined. Snacks and beverages will be provided as well as the background of our Stonewall campaign and information that you can share when telling the public about the new park.
Please send an email describing your interest in volunteering, and possible availability to Olivia Owre-Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, please call 212-244-6082
- Public Speaking
- People Skills
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Would require going into a local bar, our materials will be kept at the Stonewall Inn.