Volunteer drivers transport clients to their destinations safely and on time.
ACC Rides Transportation Services (ACC Rides) provides door-to-door transportation service to Meals on Wheels Café sites, ACC Senior Services (ACC) and other senior centers, Triple R, medical and dental appointments, grocery shopping, field trips, and personal errands.
For many older adults, ACC Rides is a lifeline that provides a measure of independence for people who cannot drive due to mobility issues, physical or cognitive disabilities, an inability to utilize public transit or lack other means of transport. Caregivers can also depend on ACC Rides to transport their loved ones to classes or other programs at ACC.
Transportation services are available to people 60 years of age and over who live in the following zip code areas: 95814, 95818, 95820, 95822, 95823, 95824, 95828, 95831, and 95832, a newly opened service area. View the ACC Rides Service Area Map. In addition, ACC Rides now serves the Delta Region (Walnut Grove, Locke, and Courtland).
Many of our Drivers and Driver Assistants speak a second language, including Cantonese, Mandarin, Hmong, Mien, and Tagalog to help accommodate transportation participants.
- Operate an 8-9 passenger Paratransit van, small sedan, or minivan
- Complete a pre-trip inspection before using ACC Rides vehicles
- Assist Volunteer Driver Assistants in securing clients (wheelchair or seatbelt) and make sure everyone is properly secured
- Pick up clients and get them to their destinations safely and on time
- Log in pick-up and drop-off time of each client
- Collect donations or fees from riders
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR VOLUNTEERS
- Valid California driver’s license with a clean driving record for the last 5 years
- Pass a background check
- Age 25 and older
- Be in good health
- Able to bend, lift 50 lbs, and drive intermittently over a 4-8 hour period of time
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (speaking and writing)
- Willing to work with diverse language and ethnic populations
- Willing to work with older adults who may be frail and/or have physical disabilities
- Willing to mentor new volunteers
- Able to successfully complete training to operate Paratransit vehicles
- Skill in languages other than English (Chinese, Tagalog, Japanese, etc.)
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT
ACC Rides operates Monday through Friday from 6:00am-6:00pm. Scheduling of volunteers is flexible and depends on each volunteer’s availability. Volunteers are encouraged to commit to a regular schedule. Volunteers who are unable to report for duty on their scheduled day must contact ACC Rides as soon as possible so a substitute can be found.
A regular schedule such as once/twice a week or once/twice a month is suggested, however, ACC Rides can also accommodate a customized schedule or on-call volunteers.
These are suggested shift times only. ACC Rides will do its best to accommodate our volunteers’ availability.
- Shift #1: 7:00 AM to 11:30 AM
- Shift #2: 11:00 AM to 3:30 PM
- Shift #3: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Shift #4: On-call/flexible schedule
Volunteers are expected to attend orientation and in-service trainings. Our Volunteer Manager will schedule you for an orientation prior to your start date. Topics covered will include ACC Rides’ policies and procedures, HIPAA/confidentiality and elder abuse prevention.
Volunteers will be trained on:
- Vehicle operations (for Paratransit vans and wheelchair minivans), including safe driving techniques
- Vehicle maintenance and safety
- Transporting passengers (including wheelchair securement)
- Basics of dementia
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
Volunteers gain experience serving older adults in the community by improving their access to health, social, and recreation services. Access to transportation improves the quality of life of elders and their caregivers. Volunteers are invited to the Annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- Drive seniors to shopping trips,...
- Sing to nursing home residents
- Spanish-Speaking Interpreter
- Play piano to entertain nursing...
- Help with mailings
- Help the Asian American...
- Film Interns
- Dining Room Host
- Storyteller (Cantonese or English)
- Teach a class to seniors
- Sensory Stimulation Assistant
- Senior Prom (Project Coordinator)