Providence Elder Place Volunteer Opportunities
Providence ElderPlace is an innovative program of services for older adults. Providence ElderPlace helps older adults remain as healthy and independent as possible in the community for as long as possible.
Social Communication Volunteer
Provide direct social interaction and support (1:1 or small group consisting of 2-4 individuals) for participants of Providence ElderPlace PACE program who are at risk of isolation and/or decreased participation due to communication impairment as a result of Cerebral Vascular Accident (CVA), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), dysphonia (voice disorder), degenerative neurologic disorders or cognitive decline as screened and deemed appropriate for such support by Speech Language Pathologist.
Principle Duties and Functions
A. Cognitive and/or language based activities including, but not limited to:
1. Trivia activities
2. Use of computer for e-mail or internet research (as deemed appropriate for viewing on public computer according to internet usage policies established by Providence ElderPlace).
3. Language or cognitive based games.
4. Support for participation in art based activities.
5. Support participation for input to newsletter.
6. 1:1 assist for participation in other existing life enrichment activities.
B. Speech and communication based activities including, but not limited to:
1. Assisting in letter writing.
2. Development of individual's "life stories" and/or photo albums.
3. 1:1 visits for conversation (current events, personal interests, reminiscing).
4. Reading (and/or listening) to literature meaningful to individual participants (such as books, newspapers, short stories, magazines).
5. 1:1 assist for participation in other existing life enrichment activities.
Tasks which a volunteer MAY NOT perform
- Instruct a participant or participant’s caregiver in the provision of skilled treatment of any type.
- Physical transfers of any type unless specifically trained and authorized by ElderPlace staff.
- Provision of direct personal care related to hygiene or grooming.
- Provision of food or liquid.
- Ability to engage with many types of people.
- Willingness to follow instruction for assisting participants.
- 12 th grade (or equivalency) of literacy and writing skills.
- Willingness to commit to one year of volunteer service
- 18 + years of age
This volunteer opportunity is a perfect complement to providing compassionate assistance to our participants by experiencing excellent care and attention from our extensive and knowledgeable staff.