Forms Assistance Navigator Volunteer- South MPLS- Somali and Spanish Speakers!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereSouth MPLS Human Service Center2215 East Lake StreetMinneapolis, MN 55407
Purpose: Volunteers will use their bi-lingual and customer service skills to contribute to a new program with the Hennepin County Human Services & Public Health Department to support Limited English Proficiency clients to fill out necessary forms.
- Work closely with staff to help identify form needs of non-English speaking clients.
- Greet Customers.
- Fill out county forms with non-English speaking clients.
- Work with staff to ensure clients receive needed services in a timely manner.
- Collect data regarding services provided to improve this work as it evolves.
- Work closely with the Coordinator of Volunteers to refine the Forms Assistance process.
- Volunteers must have bi-lingual skills to help clients fill out necessary forms- Somali, Oromo, and/or Spanish are the languages are most prevalent at service sites involved with this work.
- Volunteers must by fluent in conversational and written English.
- Positive and flexible attitude with exceptional customer service skills.
- Experience working with and serving diverse populations.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- The ability to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries with staff and clients, and maintain client confidentiality.
- Volunteer must complete the application, interview and orientation process, provide 2 references, pass a background check, attend training program, and adhere to department policies.
- A volunteer must be a minimum age of 18 years.
At least one 3-4 hour shift during weekdays between 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
At least a 3 month commitment to the program
Supervision: The volunteer will be supported by an onsite Coordinator.
Feedback is available / provided by an onsite Coordinator to assist volunteer in achieving the highest quality of work results.
Volunteers gain experience working with individuals from different language and cultural backgrounds.
Volunteers gain experience assisting staff in a county government Human Services department.
Volunteers gain experience in contributing to launch a new pilot program.
Volunteers experience the positive feelings of assisting people in need.
Volunteers can be reimbursed monthly for related transportation/parking expenses within allowable limits by completing a report form.
Human Services training opportunities are available at no cost.
- A letter of recommendation can be written on request after completion of the minimum time commitment.
To apply to become a volunteer, please fill out this application: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?AP=414494143
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- at least 2-4 hr shift once a week--at least 3 mths