WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where1 Wappalane RdBranchville, NJ 07826
Name of Member:
Position Title: Conservation Specialist
Hours of Service: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday (Some weekend and evening hours required)
As conservation specialist the EECO AmeriCorps Member will teach environmental science and conservation lessons and leadership training skills to middle school students who visit the NJSOC throughout the year. Consistent with this service the members will:
- Teach one of over 50 individual learning experiences that are offered at the New Jersey School of Conservation in the natural sciences, outdoor pursuits, humanities, or social sciences to K-12 students, community members, and college students.
- Observe lessons to become familiar with the NJSOC learning experiences, lesson plans, and resources for the over 50 major subjects taught at the school.
- Plan, organize, and coordinate environmental conservation service projects for K-12 service-learning students, faith-based and civic organizations, and college service-organizations.
- Develop, maintain, and restore the New Jersey School of Conservation education infrastructure and habitat as necessary.
- Contribute to the NJSOC Blog to support and advance the educational mission of the NJSOC.
- Serve with school staff, Stokes State Forest rangers, and other New Jersey Parks and Forestry personnel on infrastructure maintenance, invasive species abatement, lake clean up, trail building and maintenance, forest fire prevention, and riparian and wildlife habitat restoration.
- Complete all New Jersey School of Conservation and the EECO AmeriCorps Program reports and other paperwork as required.
Training and Evaluation:
- Participate in multi-day orientation and ongoing training opportunities
- Attend personal and professional development training
- Participate In depth learning associated with environmental education and service
- Exposure to social issues related to conservation and the environment
- Develop presentation skills in on-site and school-based education sessions
- Attend National Days of Service, AmeriCorps week and events sponsored by the New Jersey Commission on National and Community Service
- Assist evaluators in gathering information related to program improvement
- General Education
- Environmental Education
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training