Mercy Ships is seeking volunteers motivated by our mission of bringing hope and healing to the forgotten poor.
The volunteer receptionist will be apart of the reception team onboard the m/v Africa Mercy, the largest civilian hospital ship in the world. The ship is currently serving in Madagascar and making its way to Benin in August
The Receptionist is responsible to assist crew members, passengers, and guests with embarkation and disembarkation details, accurately communicate ship's daily business, and route incoming calls. This job also includes working under stress and pressure, as may be occasioned by emergency or high volume business circumstances.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Answer internal/external phone and fax lines and paging.
- Check passports and direct articles/crew effects signing by crew.
- Monitor ship fire panel and CCTV systems and taking corrective action in any emergency scenario.
- Control the issuing and return of accommodation keys.
- Respond to emergency signals from fire central control panel while in port.
- Initiate appropriate response during in port emergencies and coordinate mustering of crew during fire and other emergencies.
- Maintain accurate display of ship's duty rosters.
- Work routine involves flexible day and night shift patterns.
- Other duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Supportive of Mercy Ships mission and vision, and committed to its core values.
- Understand and apply servant leadership, work collaboratively with integrity and demonstrate accountability.
- Able to live in and contribute to community life, requiring stable and healthy interpersonal skills.
- Training in BT in accordance with STCW A-VI/1-1 through 1-4, is preferred but not required.
- Ability to effectively understand and communicate in clear English.
- Competency with computer applications and aptitude for learning new applications as required.
- Demonstrated ability to work under stress and pressure, as may be occasioned by emergency or high-volume business circumstances.
- Full, clean driving license is preferred. May be expected to drive as part of departmental responsibilities.
- Customer Service
- Executive Admin
- Office Management
- Office Reception
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 3-6 months