Mentor a high school student (for Fall 2019)
117 people are interested
***NOTE : We're recruiting for mentors to be matched in fall 2019. Getting started now will allow you to be near the top of the list for matching next fall.***
One email a week, one event a month, one more student excited about college.
The guidance of a mentor can empower a young person to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. iMentor is seeking college-educated Chicagoans to mentor students from public high schools in Chicago's low-income communities.
Using iMentor’s dedicated curriculum and staff support, mentors and students work together, in-person and online, to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success.
Mentors devote 5-6 hours per month to mentoring, sending one weekly email and attending one in-person meeting each month. Through these activities, mentors will develop a supportive mentoring relationship that will last for 3 years and guide a mentee through iMentor’s college-readiness curriculum and the college application process.
- Eligible candidates must be at least 21 years old and be a college graduate (2 or 4 year degrees accepted).
- Since our partner schools are all within Chicago, all volunteers must live or work within the Chicagoland area.
- Mentors should possess strong writing and communication skills.
- Mentor relationships last 3 years; mentors should be reasonably certain of their ability to commit to remaining in the Chicago area during that period.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
332 S. Michigan Ave9th FloorChicago, IL 60604
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours/month - (most online, 1 in-person/month)
- Live or work in the Chicagoland area.