PR INTERN/VOLUNTEER JOB DESCRIPTION
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Friends for Youth is expanding our program and needs energetic, outgoing, and creative individuals to help us generate community awareness around the launch of our new school-based program and recruiting adult mentors for the at-risk youth in our program. A successful candidate will have strong writing skills, a desire to learn, marketing experience and/or desire to learn, and detail-oriented work ethic. Responsibilities primarily will include developing and maintaining relations with local media contacts to publicize Friends for Youth and making presentations to corporations and community groups. Additional responsibilities include creating awareness and recruiting mentors through electronic media, Web 2.0 and social networking.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Contact television and radio stations regarding publicity opportunities; establish relationships with community reporters to achieve feature stories, coverage of events, and use of PSA’s.
- Manage sourcing, creative, and production process for recruitment video and PSA for TV use and for use in presentations; develop, source, and produce radio PSA
- Coordinate/write articles and press releases for use in local newspapers and make follow up calls
- Develop and maintain Friends for Youth presence on appropriate social networking websites
- Develop, analyze and manage internet advertising (Google Adwords, other search engines, banner advertising) efforts for maximum impact in recruiting mentors
- Produce agency One-to-One Newsletter
- Work with the Friends for Youth Board of Directors to set up and make presentations to corporations and community groups.
- Develop new relationships with community groups that are potential sources of volunteers.
- Develop and execute PR plan and develop promotional materials needed
- Use creativity to identify, implement other volunteer recruitment methods
- Assist in Friends for Youth special events, such as annual fundraising projects.
Ideal candidate has previous experience in media relations/PR, marketing, and/or volunteer recruitment. Additional qualifications include outstanding writing and communication skills, creative thinking, and exceptional organizational skills. Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, videography, and web marketing a plus. Knowledge of local community and resources helpful. Further, the candidate will possess a passion for public service and have the ability to work within a team to achieve a clearly defined common goal. As we are a youth-oriented organization a clean DMV, active auto insurance, and fingerprint background check are required.
Friends for Youth is a 37 year old non-profit agency that matches at-risk youth with adult mentors. Recognized nationally as a leader in the field, Friends for Youth seeks to provide quality-mentoring relationships for the youth who need it most.
College credit is available. Hours are flexible.
If you are interested send a brief Cover Letter and Resume to Courtney at Courtney(at)friendsforyouth.org
- Youth Services
- Public Relations
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check