Jericho Project, a nationally-acclaimed nonprofit working to end homelessness in New York City, is currently launching a Young Professionals Council (YPC). The YPC is a way for rising young professionals ages 24-35 to maximize their impact on the well-being of our city's most vulnerable populations. By strategizing modern and inventive ways to raise awareness and funds, collaborating and network with influential corporate and individual philanthropists and community leaders, and developing their leadership and team-building skills, the members of the YPC will contribute to the mission of ending youth homelessness in NYC in a meaningful way.
The Young Professionals Council will focus its advocacy and fundraising efforts on Jericho Project's newest Young Adult Program, which serves individuals ages 18-25 who have aged out of foster care and are struggling to find housing and employment. In particular, Jericho's Young Adult Program targets homeless young adults who identify as lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender (LGBT).
A recent New York City census identified over 5,000 young adults who are at-risk or homeless; this is likely an underestimate due to young adults' tendency to couch-surf rather than sleep on the streets or in shelters. And while those who identify as LGBT make up about 10% of the young adult population, they make up a much larger 40% of the homeless young adult population, being more likely to be kicked out of their homes than their non-LGBT peers. They are also more likely to suffer from depressive disorders, substance abuse and suicide ideation than their heterosexual counterparts. This significantly underserved population can greatly benefit from Jericho's already established housing, employment and health care programs.
Jericho Project's goal is to help its young adult clients achieve independence and wellbeing. In 2015 we launched Knowledge and Employment for Young Adults (KEYA) to help our clients identify and prepare for their ideal careers. With construction on our eighth residence in the Bronx underway, we will soon be expanding to supportive housing for young adults.
Still in its formative years, the Young Adult Program will need significant advocacy and input to increase its impact. All of the YPC's work will be channeled into expanding and improving Jericho Project's Young Adult Program.
* 1 calendar year tenure cycle--renewable year-over-year (for 3 years)
* 1 quarterly in-person meeting
* 1 quarterly conference call
* 1 annual volunteer/service engagement with the Agency *Families, friends & colleagues are welcome
* Networking with fellow philanthropic young professionals from NYC's top industries
* Career Development and leadership training
* Mentorship opportunities with JP's Executive Board and the Women's Affinity group members
* Recognition on Jericho Project website as a founding member of the Young Professionals Council
Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief overview of their job experience and philanthropic interests (subject line: "Young Professionals Council"). Learn more at http://jerichoproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jericho-Project-Young-Professionals-Council-Concept-Paper-May-2016-1.pdf .
- Strategic Planning
- Business Analysis
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Community Outreach
- Business Planning
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 24
- 1 year (quarterly meetings and one annual event)
- Rising young professional aged 24-35 with an interest in philanthropy and networking.