VISTAs collaboratively plan and implement sustainable programs that recruit and train volunteers for tutoring low performing reading, writing and math students in elementary school settings
- call upon community organizations, senior and retirement communities and houses of worship to seek tutoring candidates.
- Develop system for screening and matching mentors. Create database of volunteers for tutoring opportunities; develop plan for consistency and sustainability of tutoring programs throughout the school district. Track progress of tutoring program including number of students/tutors participating and advancements.
- Design effective training sessions for parents/community members to serve as managers for the programs( Literacy, STEM, Coding, Tutoring and Mentoring).
- Host college and career exploration events to investigate jobs and education opportunities available post high school. Spotlight STEM career opportunities each month and have someone engaged in the career present to students.
- VISTA will serve as a community liasion and advocate for the development of sustainable communirty partnerships
- Develop a day of service event within their school or school community to identify service activity, plan, publicize, organize and report of outcome, create resource library to capture entire event-from planning to inception
- Research grants and other funding opportunities for implementation of the students activities and VISTA projects.
Program Benefits : Relocation Allowance , Childcare assistance if eligible , Living Allowance , Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend , Health Coverage* , Training .
Application must be processed through the Americorps VISTA web site: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=67839&fromSearch=true
- People Skills
- Grant Writing / Research
- Basic Computer Skills
- Community Outreach
- Program Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- year long commitment