Project Hawai'i, Inc. is a nonprofit organization run 100% by volunteers. We are solely supported by public donations. Our mission is to enhance the lives of homeless and poverty stricken keiki. Helping them to escape their cycle of poverty by providing interactive solutions, life necessities and help when needed. We run programs on both the Big Island and O'ahu.
100% of all our donations go back to our programs to help us fulfill our mission.
We are looking for a few dynamic people who would like to share their talents and help Project Hawai'i reach their goals to help stop homelessness among children.
Some of our goals for 2017 are listed below.
We are trying to expand our programs and bring back our after-school reading and tuitoring programs as well as add more after-school options for these precious children. At one time, our agency had 8 centers open 5 days a week, but the economy hit, and we slowly had to close them. Some of our other programs have dimissed as well. We are hoping to make 2017 our come back year and help even more children have a brighter future.
We are also trying to expand our summer educational program and open it up to even more teens on both islands. This is our 10th year anniversary to provide a teen mentoring summer program, and we have added a TEEN WEEK on Big Island. We have also made a committment to make this year and forward to be 100% organic.
So if you are interested in helping us to raise the awareness and create the funds needed to help these children succeed, please consider sharing your time and talents with us.
Here are the following positons we have open:
- Fundraising Coordinator: we are looking for a self-starter, outgoing individual that will be able to visit/contact companies and the alike to help fund some of our major programs. Some writing skills are needed (grant writing skills are not required).
- Fundraising Committee Chair: we are looking for individuals that are willing to take on a smaller fundraising task that would be geared for one aspect of our program, such as someone helping for a holiday, or summer program, etc. This individual(s) would be required to write letters, make phone calls, follow up with potiential donors, and set up collection kokua cans in various stores/companies, etc.
- Grant/Smaller local Grant Writer: we are seeking an individual who would like to research small local grants and apply on line for our individual agency needs. This would be all done on the internet. Many companies give awards or small grants from $500-$2,000. We tend to do well with those, just don't have the time to research them all out.
- Event Coordinator: we are seeking a self starter, organized individual that will assist with setting up some of the events we will have planned. Helping to secure locations, organize volunteers, write letters of intent, etc. As well we have community members that contact us to do a fundraiser or collection, and need a bit more assistance. Hoping that this individual would also be able to assist with their efforts.
- Christmas Chair: we are seeking a few individuals that would like to take on an area around their homebase and help to set up collection sites and kokua cans to assure that we are able to meet the needs of the thousands of homeless children we provide services to. Last year we were able to assist almost 1,500 children living in extreme poverty. Christmas truly changes the lives of these precious children and we need help to secure all the donations needed. Volunteers would need to contact local companies to set up collection boxes, kokua cans, etc and BE ABLE to check on said locations a few times before Christmas. Contacing companies, groups, clubs, etc to coordinate sponsorship opportunities. ONE STEP FURTHER?, able to present our agency to new companies or agencies, etc. Public speaking at it's finest.
- Volunteer Coordinator: we are seeking an individual that would like to help us set up volunteers for various activities, primarily our awareness and collection sites. We are in need of recruiting 10-12 volunteers for monthly events across the island. This individual would need to make contact with local schools, colleges, companies, military, etc. The goal would be to get the company/school/club, etc to committ to one or more of our events. 3 hour shifts during weekends. (can be flexible for groups needs)
- Social Media Representative: we are seeking an individual that enjoys posting on Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In and other avenures. Our goal is to raise awareness about our program and post some of our activities or fundraisers.
- Summer Camp Activity Coordinator: we are seeking an individual on the BIG ISLAND who has the time to contact people in the community to volunteer at our summer camp by providing a 2-4 hour program for our homeless keiki. We call it "Share Your Talent" guests. We need to fill 12 shifts on the Big Island. I usually look through the online announcements, find companies or individuals who already work with children that might want to donate their time...it is not as easy as it seems. So looking for someone who enjoys spending time researching and contacting people.
- Summer Camp Food Coordinator: we are seeking an individual that would be able to help us with securing food donations, as well as coordinating with others to conduct food drives and or fundraisers to purchase food needed for camp. This individual would be working with groups, individuals and possibily contact companies for donations of food items. As stated we are going 100% organic and that too will be a challenge as some donors might not understand the need to be organic. Another option we strive to reach is to have a company, group, etc to sponsor an entire meal, prepared, or cover the cost of the meal. Also invite local restuarants to provide a meal for our camp.
- Back to School Coordinator/Graduation Lu'au: we are seeking an individual that would like to help set up collection sites or work with groups to collect needed supplies for our back to school support program. Needed supplies range from basic supplies, backpacks, shoes, clothing and funds for the school uniforms. Teens also receive gift cards for their own shopping needs
- Coordinators for our Teen Mentoring Summer Program: we are seeking self-startera that is outgoing and enjoys to make phone calls, write emails, talk with people to secure the needs of our program.
- Contact local companies to provide or sponsor an activity for the teens
- Contact local resturants to sponsor a lunch or dinner
- Help to contact people who would like to conduct a 2-4 hour leadership or mentoring workshop
- Raise funds for needed supplies, etc
If any of these opportunities feel like they would fit into your life and your goals, please contact us. We are seeking those who will be dedicated to this program and take these volunteer duties seriously. Our homeless keiki count on us, and we count on the community.
- Business Development
- Customer Acquisition
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Program Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment