Put on your big, red shoes and make a mark!
The Ronald McDonald House of Scranton provides Family Rooms in three area hospitals that serve as bright, homey spaces full of entertainment, comfortable furniture, a kitchenette, snacks, drinks, toys, games, and quick meals that sick or injured children and their families can the hospital environment in. From these family rooms, volunteers run a hospitality cart that allows them to directly visit in their hospital room to interact with and bring kindness and cheerfulness to children and their families when they need it most - during medical crisis.
We are seeking volunteers for one our three Family Rooms to help bring the security, comfort, and fun of the Ronald McDonald House to kids, babies, and families in our area hospitals.
Non-students and students alike enjoy the benefit of witnessing the impact they have on the hospital stays of sick children and their families while receiving the benefits of a shift meal and close, working relationship with other volunteers and staff. This can be a great opportunity for students, particularly those considering a career in medicine or hospitals to interact directly with child patients and their families, while learning various aspects of the medical system inside and out. We have morning and evening shifts, week days as well as weekends.
The Ronald McDonald Family Rooms (RMFR) are staffed by volunteers daily from 9am-9pm. Family Room volunteers lend a caring hand and provide information as needed, as well as making sure the room is clean and properly stocked. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old and are asked to fulfill a 3-hour shift once a week for a period of at least 3 months. Daily shifts are from 9am-12pm, 12-3pm, 3-6pm and 6-9pm.
Duties of Family Room Volunteers include the following:
- Registering guests
- Provide orientation to first time guests and go over Guidelines & Expectations
- Keep simple statistical records
- Enforce rules and guidelines when necessary
- Keep the Family Room neat and tidy
- Offer resources to families
- Help provide a warm, friendly atmosphere for families
- Clearly communicate with Ronald McDonald House and hospital staff when necessary
Benefits of being a Ronald McDonald House Volunteer Include the following:
- Shift Meal
- Plenty of Time to Study or Relax
- Snacks and Drinks
- Bi-Monthly Volunteer Lunches
- Volunteer Events
- Close, Working Relationship with other Volunteers, Staff, Children, and Families
- Free Striped A ccoutrements including, but not limited to: snazzy socks, super t-shirts, and fun fingerless gloves
Feel Free to Contact Us with Questions to Find Out if Ronald McDonald House Family Rooms Are the Right Fit For You!
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 3 months