Summer volunteering Helping Refugee children!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
66 people are interested
We need volunteers to welcome the many incoming refugee children into our community this summer!
Volunteers are responsible for greeting students in the mornings, assisting with beginner literacy lessons, being involved with activities, games, snack times, and supporting any needs that arise for program efficiency.
Volunteers are welcome to come along on local field trips, as well as serve as drivers for those newly arriving refugee families. Trainings and Evaluation Meetings are also valuable aspects of being a summer volunteer.
About The Refugee Education Center
2130 Enterprise St. SE, Kentwood, MI 49503, US
To support refugee children and families to gain the necessary skills for seamless and successful integration into the community through providing comprehensive educational support and youth development services, along with fostering cultural knowledge and understanding.
Founded in 2006 by immigrants and refugees, the Refugee Education & Cultural Center (REC) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Its goal is to support families and individuals to gain the skills necessary for successful integration into the community.
The main objectives of the program are as follows:
- Empower refugee families to succeed in school and in life.
- Support refugee children to finish school and become self-sufficient.
- Provide refugee families a place to socialize to strengthen their families and their communities.
- Foster a lasting sense of community that will benefit both refugee and non-refugee families alike.
- Foster leadership development in the refugee community.
2130 Enterprise Street SouthEastKentwoodKentwood, MI 49508
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Community Outreach
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- Once a week or more for 4 to 5 hours a day for 7 weeks.