We have new openings on the Board. We are seeking people who are passionate about Musical Theater, who can bring diversity of experience to the board and can help to expand the organization’s impact and visibility.
- Attend (either in person of via telephone) regularly scheduled board meetings (four to five per year);
- Actively participate in one or more committees of the board during your 3-year term;
- Attend scheduled board retreats, planning meetings, workshops or other board development activities;
- Attend, support and participate in special events and regularly attend NYMF productions;
- Establish Policy;
- Make personal [and/or professional] financial commitment (see Commitment letter);
- Monitor the organization’s financial performance;
- Develop and monitor short and long-range planning and goals;
- Represent the organization to the public and private sector; serve as an advocate for the agency; and
- Bring personal/professional expertise and that of others to support the mission of the organization.
The New York Musical Festival nurtures the creation, production, and public presentation of stylistically, thematically, and culturally diverse new musicals to ensure the future vitality of musical theater.
Like any great art form, musical theater is shaped by the events and philosophies of the day. The strength and vitality of musical theater lie in its ability to stay fresh and relevant. It was with that idea in mind, 14 years ago, that the New York Musical Festival (NYMF) was created - to provide an effective platform to introduce new shows, new perspectives, and new blood into the musical theater canon.
The first Festival, staged in 2004, featured over thirty new fully staged full-length musicals and was met with critical and popular acclaim. More than 400 shows have premiered at the Festival since then, featuring more than 8,000 artists and entertaining more than 300,000 audience members. The musicals and artists introduced at NYMF have, in turn, gone on to further successes on and Off-Broadway, across the country, and around the globe - reaching literally millions of theatergoers worldwide.
NYMF was honored with a 2013 Drama Desk Award recognizing its first decade of creating and nurturing new musical theater, ensuring the future of this essential art form.