*Volunteers also needed in Teller County!*
Summary of Position
The young adult math tutor serves as a support to the youth services department by tutoring young adults (ages 16 - 24) with the goal of bringing students who are basic skills deficient in math (scores are 8 th grade and below) to the 9 th grade math level or GED test ready based on individual need. The objective of this role is to improve math and GED preparedness of participants in the WIOA Young Adult program at the Pikes Peak Workforce Center (PPWFC) in El Paso and Teller Counties. A person in this role will work directly with job seekers who are unemployed or underemployed.
- Works closely with both career counselors and students to determine needs and extent of tutoring required
- Assess individual student’s needs based on the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)
- Conducts individualized tutorial sessions for students with academic deficiencies in literacy
- Designs and implements exercises and activities to facilitate student's academic improvement
- Schedule tutoring time with individuals and conducts post-TABE assessments to monitor students’ progress
- Maintains confidentiality of all participants
- Completes monthly update form to document student's attendance and academic progress
- Provides monthly feedback of student progress to assigned career counselors explaining evaluation of the student's progress
- Provide encouragement and understanding
- Complete required tracking of volunteer hours, tasks completed, educational progress etc., as appropriate for position
- When possible, attend meetings, trainings and events as requested
- Understand and adhere to all programmatic and agency policies
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years old and possess a High School Diploma or GED
- Experience in teaching math remediation
- Experience working with youth with disabilities is a plus
- Prefer Bachelor's degree in the appropriate field of assignment AND one year of instructional experience at a high school or college level; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
- Be comfortable working one-on-one with job seekers and providing guidance and teaching
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office software: Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent people skills; sense of humor and patience a must
- Commitment to provide excellent customer service
- A high degree of professionalism and a friendly, positive attitude
Term of Service
The volunteer tutor must commit to a minimum of 6-months of tutoring unless the desired outcome is achieved sooner.
The tutor must be willing to meet in person with the young adult twice weekly on Tuesday afternoon and Friday morning.
- Enhanced professional development in the area of customer service and workforce development
- Increased skills in working with the public and diverse populations
- Play an integral part of helping a job seeker increase employability or get a job
- Improve the economic vitality of the Pikes Peak Region
- Work with a great team of supportive, devoted professionals who are invested in your personal success
- Orientation to PPWFC and volunteer program will be provided and is mandatory before starting volunteer service.
- Position-specific training/support will be provided by PPWFC and is mandatory before starting volunteer service.
- Ongoing support from Volunteer Services Coordinator and department staff.
Department Youth Services
Reports to Volunteer Services Coordinator and Youth Services Team Lead or Designee
Work Conditions Work is performed in an office environment.
Selection, Training and Development Process
1. Complete a PPWFC Volunteer Inquiry online at www.ppwfc.org
2. Interview with the Volunteer Services Coordinator
3. Pass a background and reference check
4. Complete all necessary volunteer paperwork
5. Sign a written volunteer agreement to commit to a minimum of 6-months of service
6. Attend mandatory orientation (provided by PPWFC)
7. Complete mandatory position-specific training
- Adult Education
- Youth Services
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Twice weekly for six months