Live a unique experience opportunity. Living directly the culture, environment and our organization in the Amazon Region (Napo) and Coastal Region (Santo Domingo) in Ecuador.
Our sustainable agriculture interns will work with members of Tsachilas Communities, Kichwa Community and our staff to investigate the farming of Guayusa like a Sustainable Agricultural Economics.
Our main activities are: the calculation of net present value for local agricultural systems, the opportunity costs of the farming of Guayusa, biodiversity benefits of agroforestry systems, and Fair Trade benefits
- Learn about guayusa
- Investigate agricultural production yields in Tsachilas communities.
- Create a database that measures the production value of crops and the general welfare of farmers in the province of Santo Domingo de los Tsachilas.
- Production of training guides of Guayusa crop
- Spend time in the field to understand the relation of agriculture in the economy of Tsachilas.
- Collect data of Tsachilas crop
- Design a database of native Tsachilas crop species
- Make a video about agriculture of Tsachilas
- Perform a cost-benefit analysis of Guayusa production
Studying or a degree in business areas, agriculture, sustainable development or related areas. Proficiency in English and Spanish (Basic to low intermediate at least).
Current Status of Research
The original goal of this project is to compare the input costs, labor, and total profit associated with Guayusa and other cash crops such as cacao, yucca and banana.
If you are interested in working with us or have any questions about the internship program please send an email directly to our Program Manager, Kristina Cvetich, at firstname.lastname@example.org
1.- A simple resume
2.- Letter of intent (including which project you are applying for and why you want it)
3.- Two references
Winter Internship: January 6th - March 7th
Spring Internship: March 10th - May 16th
Summer Internship: June 17th - August 23rd
Fall Internship: October 16th - November 15th
Our immersion program has a $450/week fee which includes the following:
- Pre-departure orientation
- In-country orientation
- Visit the guayusa farms in Archidona (Amazon Region) and Santo Domingo (Coastal Region)
- Host family with three meals
Not included in our fee:
- Food during in-country orientation
- Travel expenses
- Mandatory travel medical insurance
- Business Development
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment