SCOPE OF WORK: The New Roots program of IRC Phoenix helps build strong, secure and sustainable communities. An essential part of New Roots is providing supplemental income for refugee farmers and gardeners in Phoenix. Gila Farm Cooperative is a refugee owned marketing cooperative that contributes to the livelihood of over 40 refugees and benefits many Phoenix families by selling them healthy organically grown vegetables. This job will provide a highly literate and energetic spokesperson that will play an important role in customer interactions and recruitment as well as behind the scenes organization for Gila Farm Cooperative. You will work hand in hand with the project coordinator and refugee cooperative members and speak directly to customers.
Under the supervision of the Farm Program Coordinator, the intern will assist with the following:
- Assist in planning CSA weekly vegetable boxes
- Interact with customers and volunteers via email and in person
- Update social media sites & blog to promote program
- Write weekly CSA newsletter
- Assist with packing CSA boxes
- Assist with pop-up farm stands within the community
- Assist with the delivery of CSA boxes
- Conduct outreach & participate in community education opportunities to engage and recruit program participants
- Assist with classroom & field based farm business trainings
- Other relevant program support duties, as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of college study with minimum 3.0 GPA
- Excellent organization & interpersonal skills
- Experience or academic background in agriculture
- Self-proclaimed "foodie" or "food lover" is a plus
- Familiarity with the workings of CSAs and/or farming cooperative preferred, yet not required
- Experience in marketing preferred, yet not required
- Experience with or a passion for the local food movement, refugees, organic food, and/or cooking
- Social Media / Blogging
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15+ hrs/week (3 months)
- Health Specialist Volunteer
- Citizenship & Immigration...
- Individual Development Accounts...
- Information & Resource Volunteer
- Childcare Microenterprise...
- Job Training AmeriCorps
- Resettlement Shop Coordinator...
- Financial Education Intern
- Reception & Placement...
- Housing Specialist Volunteer
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- Wellness Center Filing Clerk
- Communications Intern
- Wellness Intern
- Education & Learning In-Class...
- Well Being Volunteer
- Job Development Volunteer
- Child Watch Volunteer
- Intensive Case Management (ICM)...
- Citizenship Class (Midtown)