SCOPE OF WORK: The Refugee Childcare Program assists entrepreneurial refugee women in obtaining certification for the provision of childcare services and assist them in starting their own home-based childcare businesses. The program economically empower refugee women by creating sustainable employment opportunities for them as childcare providers, as well as the opportunity for refugee parents to secure culturally-appropriate childcare services and as they themselves enter the workforce.
The Childcare Microenterprise Intern will assist the program coordinator with the core operations of the program. The intern will gain through a hands-on experience an understanding of how microenterprise developments function and will also gain experience with working alongside refugee populations. The program spans all business development phases and will give the intern opportunities to gain skills in development trainings (business & childcare), certifications, micro-credit, and on-going technical support, both before and after the entrepreneur's business is launched.
The intern will have the opportunity to hone in on cross-cultural communication, business development and strategic planning skills. The intern will also have the opportunity to become familiar with the global non-profit environment and working with refugee populations.
Under the supervision of the Childcare Microenterprise Development Specialist, the intern will assist with the following:
- Assist program participants with the certification process, including completing application files and stewarding participant progress
- Provide technical assistance to program participants including business plan creation, diagnosing barriers, and active business coaching
- Provide intensive marketing assistance as part of the Micro-Business Sustainability Project, which assists program participants to identify new markets, increase their client base and retention, as well as overall revenue generation
- Conduct program outreach including identifying and contacting potential community partners as well as designing and distributing promotional materials
- An interest in non-profit management and/or micro-enterprise development
- Superior organization skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong internal drive with the ability to work proactively without continuous oversight
- Solid understand of Microsoft Office
- Patience, flexibility, and creativity
- Experience with small business and/or business development is preferred, but not required
- Community Outreach
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15+ hrs/week (3 months)