SCOPE OF WORK: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Phoenix integrates education, case management, and employment services to assist individuals in achieving economic self-sufficiency and self-reliance. IRC works with refugees, asylees, & victims of trafficking, most with limited English proficiency, to overcome barriers to success by offering client-centered services including case management, basic skills education, work readiness training, & job placement. Through these services, IRC clients are prepared to be successful in transitional employment & are on track for being higher education & career ready.
Included in the Adult Education program is Financial Education. Financial Education is an integral component to self-sufficiency, teaching critical skills that include budgeting, goal setting, & education on various resources such as programs, classes & services. In the absence of robust financial aid, people of limited means need to be equipped with an understanding of banking systems & the ability to manage their money & their credit if they are to be successful & empowered. It is in this endeavor that we strive to prepare clients for the sometimes complex US financial system. This knowledge will be most crucial in helping them realize their goals, be they as simple as owning a car, or as complex as starting a successful business enterprise.
The Financial Education Intern will have the opportunity to engage with clients directly, teaching them valuable money management skills in a high-impact capacity. From this internship, one can expect to develop superior presentation skills, the ability to organize & schedule itineraries for students & teachers, & further skills in mastering Microsoft Office, Publisher, & Access Database software suites. A holistic understanding of finance & verifiable work history in the financial field will also be cultivated.
Under the supervision of the Adult Education staff, the intern will assist with the following:
- Under the supervision of the Financial Education Specialist, the intern will assist with the following:
- Assist with Financial Education, and specialized training course schedule, logistics, recordkeeping, reporting, and data entry/analysis;
- Schedule interpreters and language aids in support of training course needs;
- Assist with instruction of Financial Education, and specialized training courses;
- Assist with the development and revision of Financial Education training curricula;
- Participate in marketing of Financial Education, and specialized training courses;
- Provide specialized instruction, coaching, or counseling, as required for individual clients
- Must be organized, detail-orientated, and a self-starter;
- Must possess cultural sensitivity and excellent cross-cultural communication skills;
- Have a strong desire to help people & work on a diverse team;
- Be patient, creative, & flexible;
- Education or experiences in Human Resource Development, Financial Services, TEFL, Adult Education, or Instructional Design preferred, although not required
- Adult Education
- Financial Literacy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15+ hrs/week (three months)
- Health Specialist Volunteer
- Citizenship & Immigration...
- Individual Development Accounts...
- Information & Resource Volunteer
- Childcare Microenterprise...
- Job Training AmeriCorps
- Resettlement Shop Coordinator...
- Financial Education Intern
- Reception & Placement...
- Housing Specialist Volunteer
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- Wellness Center Filing Clerk
- Communications Intern
- Wellness Intern
- Education & Learning In-Class...
- Well Being Volunteer
- Job Development Volunteer
- Child Watch Volunteer
- Intensive Case Management (ICM)...
- Citizenship Class (Midtown)