SCOPE OF WORK: The Education Program strives to provide refugee youth with academic support, literacy training, & enrichment activities. IRC in Phoenix Education & Learning Program is in need of a fall intern to help guide & develop youth programming in new schools. The fall intern will be an integral part of the education team and will be working closely with staff, youth, schools, and community partners.
The K-12 Education Intern will learn the basics of program coordination and organization while also learning the need for advocacy for refugee youth in educational systems. Program coordination skills will be measured by the results of the program activities as demonstrated through youth attendance and assessments/feedback.
Under the supervision of the Youth Program Coordinator, the intern will assist with the following:
- Assist the K-12 Education Team in rolling out & supporting programming for refugee youth
- Help plan & supervise youth both on-site & off-site, including youth clubs at local high schools
- Help organize parent meetings & student meetings with Education Specialist at apartment complexes
- Work with school partners to assist with school needs for refugee youth in ELL programs
- Assisting the School Liaison in enrolling children in schools
- Pursuing a degree in Education, Social Work, or other youth services related fields preferred;
- At least one year experience working with youth programming in an education or recreational capacity;
- Preferred experience working with refugee or immigrant youth
- Strong intercultural communication skills & ability to relate to youth of different backgrounds;
- Excellent communication, organizational, and planning skills;
- Preferred experience with classroom technology, such as using a smart board, iPad, and/or educational software;
- Fluency in English is required, secondary language is a plus, but not required
- Fingerprint Clearance Card (IRC provided if necessary);
- Access to reliable transportation;
- Clean driving record & proof of insurance
- General Education
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15+ hrs/week (minimum of three months)
- Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Health Specialist Volunteer
- Citizenship & Immigration...
- Individual Development Accounts...
- Information & Resource Volunteer
- Childcare Microenterprise...
- Job Training AmeriCorps
- Resettlement Shop Coordinator...
- Financial Education Intern
- Reception & Placement...
- Housing Specialist Volunteer
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- Wellness Center Filing Clerk
- Communications Intern
- Wellness Intern
- Education & Learning In-Class...
- Well Being Volunteer
- Job Development Volunteer
- Child Watch Volunteer
- Intensive Case Management (ICM)...
- Citizenship Class (Midtown)