SCOPE OF WORK: The Development team works to promote community outreach and advocacy opportunities in order to increase awareness of refugee issues in Phoenix and of IRC services. Though strategic action, Development hopes to further engage and empower the surrounding community, utilizing their strengths and assets as resources to support the refugee population in Phoenix. As a part of the Development team, the Communications Intern will assist the Development Manager in broadcasting the mission and work of the IRC through coordinating social media, outreach and media efforts, as well as participating in events.
The Communications Intern will learn how to make effective business & professional presentations to internal & external audiences and how to write & coordinate a variety of mass media products (including news stories & press releases using IRC guidelines). Additionally, the Communications Intern will be able to design & lay out a variety of mass and social media products, including webpage articles, newsletter pieces, and Facebook posts as a part of the greater communication strategy.
Under the supervision of the Development Manager, the intern will assist with the following:
- Coordinate media (newspaper, television, radio), including vetting media requests and working with staff and clients to develop stories;
- Assist with social media efforts, including Facebook;
- Create a Story Bank to generate content for monthly E-Newsletter & other communications;
- Assist the Development team in researching grant deadlines & guidelines from local foundations;
- Other relevant program support duties, as assigned
- Excellent written & oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Prior experience in a non-profit setting & with refugees preferred, but not required;
- Strong computer skills, particularly experience in social media;
- Ability to take initiative & work independently;
- Must be comfortable working in a cross-cultural environment;
- Flexibility & ability to handle multiple tasks successfully
- Social Media / Blogging
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15+ hrs/week 3 months/Semester
- Health Specialist Volunteer
- Citizenship & Immigration...
- Individual Development Accounts...
- Information & Resource Volunteer
- Childcare Microenterprise...
- Job Training AmeriCorps
- Resettlement Shop Coordinator...
- Financial Education Intern
- Reception & Placement...
- Housing Specialist Volunteer
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- Wellness Center Filing Clerk
- Communications Intern
- Wellness Intern
- Education & Learning In-Class...
- Well Being Volunteer
- Job Development Volunteer
- Child Watch Volunteer
- Intensive Case Management (ICM)...
- Citizenship Class (Midtown)