The Computer Class teaches newly arrived refugees basic computer usage. The goals are to ensure refugee clients have essential computer literacy and to improve their computer skills needed for employment and online correspondence.
Volunteers team teach a 2-hour long class every Monday. Volunteers guide individuals or small groups (3-12) with varying computer knowledge through established activities. Instruction is tailored to a client’s skill level. Be prepared for creative communication with limited English speakers!
"Basic" Topics Include: Essential English computer vocabulary, keyboard & mouse practice, Microsoft Word basics, simple internet searches, email account creation, & practicing English online
"Advanced" Topics Include: English typing practice, online job searching, resume creation & editing, email & professional social media, & practicing English online
4+ hours/week between Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm
- Basic Computer Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 4+hrs/week between Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm
- Health Specialist Volunteer
- Citizenship & Immigration...
- Individual Development Accounts...
- Information & Resource Volunteer
- Childcare Microenterprise...
- Job Training AmeriCorps
- Resettlement Shop Coordinator...
- Financial Education Intern
- Reception & Placement...
- Housing Specialist Volunteer
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- Wellness Center Filing Clerk
- Communications Intern
- Wellness Intern
- Education & Learning In-Class...
- Well Being Volunteer
- Job Development Volunteer
- Child Watch Volunteer
- Intensive Case Management (ICM)...
- Citizenship Class (Midtown)