Step into the world on non-profit fundraising and event planning with an opportunity to gain first-hand experience and make a difference in the lives of the 12,000 New York City and surrounding county residents affected by multiple sclerosis, a disease of the central nervous system that has no known cause or cure. This intensive internship will provide behind the scenes access to the planning of mass market events in New York City, cultivating relationships with event attendees, developing fundraising and recruitment strategy, and assisting with marketing and social media outreach.
The New York City - Southern New York Chapter of the National MS Society plans and executes 6 community Walk MS events, a 5,000 participant traffic-free Bike MS ride through the streets of Manhattan and into the Holland Tunnel, a one of a kind Climb to the Top stair climbing event up 66 flights of stairs to the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center, and a variety of other smaller endurance type events such as our MuckFest MS mud run hosted in New Jersey each year.
The Mass Market Event Intern will work alongside Society staff in our Midtown East New York City office. Not only will they have the opportunity to gain valuable and transferable industry experience in non-profit fundraising, but can also feel confident that the energy and time invested will directly benefit and improve the lives of people living with MS.
Training and Support:
The intern will complete a volunteer orientation and will receive an overview of basic office equipment required to perform this position (i.e. copier, fax machine, etc.). Ongoing feedback and training will be provided by the internship supervisor.
We ask that interns work a minimum of 20 hours per week. Office hours are Monday thru Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hourly commitments are flexible depending on availability.
- Must be outgoing, personable and have excellent communications skills
- Must be extremely comfortable with speaking to participants on the telephone
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to changing assignments and schedules
- A willingness to pitch in where necessary
- Ability to contribute new ideas is helpful
- Learn how large-scale special events are produced for a non-profit organization
- Learn new skills and access to software including Microsoft Office and Convio
- Meet new people and obtain professional references
- Potential for college credits (dependent upon the college’s requirements)
- Become part of the movement to create a world free of multiple sclerosis
- This is a non-paid internship
- Intern can receive college credit
- This internship does not guarantee a position after completion
- To be scheduled at a mutually agreed upon date
- Travel and accommodations are not included
Please send cover letter and resume to NYCSNY.Volunteers@nmss.org
- Social Media / Blogging
- Event Planning / Management
- Event Management
- Public Relations
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 20 hours per week