Battle Buddies for Life
Description of Services
Battle Buddies for Life is a Nonprofit Corporation organized under the laws of South Carolina. Battle Buddies for Life seeks to intervene in the lives of veterans and first responders who are suffering from depression, PTSD and other emotional traumas as a result of their service.
Battle Buddies for Life has four types of assistance for veterans and first responders:
(1) The Battle Buddies For Life-Line . This telephone network connects veterans and first responders to a group of volunteers whose job is to listen and share experiences. Each volunteer is also a veteran or first responder who suffers from depression, PTSD or other emotional trauma as a result of their service. Call the Battle Buddies For Life-Line once, provide some contact information, and you will be connected with a volunteer listener with similar life issues. The purpose of this service is to intervene with emotional support in the lives of veterans and first responders in order to keep them from contemplating suicide. Telephone number for this Life-Line is: 803-768-LIFE!
(2) The Battle Buddies for Life Charity Directory . Battle Buddies For Life works to maintain a local directory of charities and sources of material help in the Midlands of South Carolina. Some of these charities provide help to veterans, and some provide help to anyone in need. Battle Buddies For Life will refer veterans and first responders in need to appropriate sources of help. This directory is updated based upon feedback from the people we help using it. The purpose of this directory is to help relieve veterans and first responders of the additional emotional stress caused by economic exigency. Battle Buddies For Life DOES NOT PROVIDE DIRECT FINANCIAL OR MATERIAL HELP!
(3) The Battle Buddies For Life Counseling program . Battle Buddies helps veterans and first responders in their lowest moments by referring those contemplating suicide to the Columbia Counseling Center. Battle Buddies For Life-Line volunteers are trained to recognize the signs that a caller might be contemplating suicide, and will make the referral to one of the counseling centers around the Midlands. When funds are available, Battle Buddies for Life will pay for up to one but NO MORE THAN five Co-Pays counseling sessions so that certified counselors can help get the veteran or first responder to a higher place.
(4) The Battle Buddy For Life Monthly Support Group. Battle Buddies holds or plans to hold monthly support group meetings and outings. The purpose of these support group meetings and outings is to help build camaraderie and to bridge the gap between Veterans and First Respondents. The outings are to be at no or very low cost to those who wish to attend.
Battle Buddies for Life is a 501(c)(3) organization. Battle Buddies for Life is an all-volunteer organization. None of the board members, officers or other volunteers at Battle Buddies for Life are compensated.
- Grant Writing / Research
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Market Research / Analysis
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- No More Than 25 Hours A Week
- Has to be Flexible