Volunteer Learner Advocate Position Description
Tohelp learners at the Strong City Baltimore Adult Learning Center develop a "roadmap" for goals related to their life-skills and workforce future. Learner Advocate Volunteers will help guide learners in areas related to resume development, cover letter writing, program referral navigation, or any other assistance related to job and life-skill training.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Attend Learner Advocate Training (held on weekday evening)
- Good communication skills
- Patience, compassion, and sensitivity to diverse populations
- Commitment to enhancing the lives and future of Baltimore residents
- At least one hour a week (M-F); schedule is flexible.
- 8-10 weeks (duration of a full ALC l term) starting mid-May through July.
Application and Training
Volunteer applicants must:
- Attend a two-hour max Learner Advocate Training hosted by Volunteer Coordinator & Impact Taskforce VISTA at Strong City
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work one-to-one with a specific learner matched by Volunteer Coordinator and Impact Taskforce VISTA
- Develop a work-plan with learners ("roadmap") to set specific and targeted goals throughout the 10-week engagement
- Meet with matched learner once a week for one hour at the ALC
- Track and document progress with learner as new gains are made (filling out a job application, building a resume, interview skills, opening a bank account, creating a LinkedIn account)
- Work experience, training, recognition, and rewarding community service
- Teaching / Instruction
- Financial Literacy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- One hour a week