Foundation Communities is looking for an energetic, sustainability-minded person to commit to 12 months of service as a NeighborWorks AmeriCorps VISTA. During your service, you will design programs and educational materials to engage more residents in resource conservation and healthy living activities, specifically when residents are moving into their new, green affordable apartments. The projects you will take the lead on are:
- Develop and design creative, engaging green living educational materials used to stage new apartments so residents can save energy and water, enjoy healthier indoor air and recycle properly
- Assess and adapt the leasing and move-in process to include more green living education opportunities
- Scale up the use of these new materials and processes in all Foundation Communities properties by the end of the year of service
You’ll be a great fit if you are tenacious, a fast learner and believe sustainability tools can be used to end poverty. This position is appropriate for anyone committed to service and sustainability, including recent graduates of undergraduate and graduate programs, career-changing professionals and retirees.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about sustainability and affordable housing
- Experience in at least one of the following: graphic design, marketing, behavior change, community-based social marketing or adult education
- Experience leading or managing projects
- College degree
- Some work or internship experience
- Have your own transportation or be comfortable alt-commuting (bike/bus) between Austin locations
Other helpful expertise, interests & skills to discuss in your application if you have them:
- Behavioral economics
- Interior design/architecture
- Grant writing or fundraising
- Community organizing
- Program evaluation
- Real estate or property management
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
The position begins in August 2016. While you will be fully integrated as a member of the Foundation Communities Green Initiatives team, this is a volunteer position funded by the AmeriCorps VISTA program, not a conventional job posting. Benefits include a monthly living stipend (approx. $970/month), health insurance and, at the completion of service, an education award of $5,500.
Foundation Communities is a non-profit low-income housing developer with 19 apartment communities in Austin and North Texas and many green accolades, including Platinum-level Austin Green Business Leader and NeighborWorks Green Organization awards. Learn more at http://www.foundcom.org/.
To apply, send a resume and letter of interest to Susan Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 9, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. Interviews will be conducted the week of June 13, 2016.
- Adult Education
- Resource Development / Management
- Financial Service Assistance
- Environmental Education
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Full time at 40hrs/week
- Make History- Help Texas Get...
- Welcome Home Baskets
- ESL Teacher Assistant
- Volunteer Translator...
- AmeriCorps VISTA Green & Healthy...
- Supper Club Group Opportunity –...
- Volunteer Client Liaison - Help...
- Administrative volunteer...
- Be a tutor/mentor to kids with...
- Volunteer Tax Preparer - Learn...