Sound Equine Options is looking for a Hay Coordinator. This is a volunteer position that averages 3-4 hours per week, possibly more at times, especially during peak hay season.
Equipment and/or resources needed:
- Phone, computer and internet
Experience & Knowledge Required:
- Knowledge of types and quality of hay and alfalfa
- Basic familiarity with the NW region
- Familiarity with Dropbox and Microsoft Excel and is able to keep accurate records of the SEO hay inventory (including types).
- Has the ability to recruit and coordinate with hay haulers and laborers.
- Seek out and be knowledgeable of good prices on hay, alfalfa and alfalfa mix (primarily eastern and southern Oregon, but locally as well).
- Foster relationships with hay farmers & dealers (eastern and southern Oregon, and locally) so that if/when they give SEO a good deal, they may be more willing to provide SEO with the same/better deals in following years.
- During late spring and summer, scout out good sales on good, quality, local hay through the internet (ie, craigslist), local businesses, industry contacts, and even road signs.
- Try to negotiate discounted and/or free hay with sellers.
- Provide sellers/donors with a donation receipt when appropriate.
- Create a committee of on-call truck, trailers and hay loaders (especially for spring and summer months) that can quickly go out to fields/locations and load/unload hay when SEO receives hay at the last minute.
- Have a plan in place, with people ready to help on-call, for when SEO needs to sell hay out of a field. SEO usually has 24-48 hrs (from when we are told about the hay) to get the hay sold.
- Search for and investigate potential barns/storage areas where large amounts of hay could be stored at no cost to SEO.
- Keep a detailed and accurate spreadsheet of SEO’s hay inventory, and make note of changes to inventory.
- Coordinate the transfer of hay from one location to another (from storage, to foster home, etc) with the help of other hay haulers.
- Provide monthly inventory reports to SEO’s Board of Directors and provide immediate notification to the board when inventory reaches the low/re-stocking point(s).
- Market Research
- Inventory Management
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours a week, may increase in peak hay season